Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hooegarden Belgian beer in Pune!

It's unbelievable... I went to the shop where I generally buy drinks from.

Was picking up a bottle of Budweiser and just happened to ask the shopkeeper if he has got anything new. He mentioned the word 'Stella'

I asked him again ..."Are you sure it's Stella Artois"? He said yes. I was amazed. This is a famous lager beer from Belgium.

Then I asked him what else does he have. He mentioned that he has got 'Hoegarden'. That stunned me! I asked him to get it out immediately!

Hoegarden is a very famous Belgium beer and it's primary content is wheat unlike typical barley beers. It is spiced with coriander and orange peel. It is kept unfiltered and therefore cloudy in appearance. So its a very unique beer and it comes from the village of Hoegaarden. It has a rich history and has undergone a lot of transitions. Most recently its production was moved out of Hoegarden amidst loud protests, national coverage...After few years, it returned back to the town of Hoegarden with many public cheers

An entire Wikipedia link is devoted to it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoegaarden_(beer)

It was the surprise of Year 2009! I have enjoyed Hoegarden but never ever could get access to it in India! And now it's in Pune

The small pint bottle costs Rs 160 because it was imported (as compared to Rs 55 to Rs 60 for standard beers manufactured in India). But inspite of 3 times the cost, I had no second thoughts in buying the pint bottle and enjoying it on Saturday evening

So the day ended so sweetly!

India has truly arrived and there is no looking back... Pune rocks...It always has and will continue to be the city that evolves constantly. Now I have my own Belgium beer corner in Pune!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mate,

could you please share the shop details where you found Stella? I became a Stella lover in UK and would be happy to get it in Pune.

Rioja said...

You will get it in most beer/wine shops.

Check it out at the beer store on Law College Road (near Film Institute)