Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sandwich times

Ever wondered why a sandwich is so popular and tastes so good anywhere in the world!
It can have literally any filling, any type of bread, one never gets bored of a sandwich (atleast I don't!)

The "Earl of Sandwich made it a popular snack dish in England and that's how the name sandwich got coined to anything eaten 'sandwiched' between 2 breads

I can go on and on describing various sandwiches I have had in different parts of the world.

But to begin somewhere, I would start off describing first the popular American sandwich chains. The Subways, Togos, Quiznos...

Subway-- Had subway sandwiches for 3 years day in, day out! A subway sandwich used to be a typical lunch for me

Parmesan oregano bread, roasted chicken breast/veggie delite...yum... I always went for all options (lots of veggies, cheese, mayo)

Togos-- The best egg salad sandwich I have ever had and still can't get that taste out of my mouth. The chewy bread made it extremely tasty.

Quiznos-- The toasted sandwich chain... and their mouth watering veggie sandwich with guacamole, olives, red onions, mushrooms and toasted to perfection. Sandwich to die for

Staying in Pune gives me access to a variety of sandwich places.

Subway on F.C road is an easy access and never dissappoints. Enter a Subway restaurant and you can smell the wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread

I am still waiting for a restaurant to open in Pune serving just Gourmet Sandwiches
Grilled Sandwiches, cold sandwiches with a variety of fillings from meats to veggies

Still remember the "Italian Panini" I had in Carmel (California) which was served with fresh mozarella, tomatoes, olive oil and basil inside a Ciabata. Amazing..

Then there are the Vietnamese sandwiches which are served inside baguettes (French influence from French colonial days)

These days with the new generation of people caught in the dilemma of "white bread", they miss a simple piece of food eaten for hundreds of years by Europeans and now made popular all over the world.

Give me a good sandwich, a glass of lager and I am experiencing a piece of heaven anytime, anywhere.

I try to locate restaurants in Pune which specialize in Sandwiches. 'Pepinos' on F.C road serves interesting sandwiches

More on sandwiches in following blogs

But here is a nice Wikipedia link about the different types of sandwiches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich

No comments: